SCFC hosts monthly International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) matches throughout the spring, summer and fall months. IDPA competition involves the use of practical handguns and equipment that are suitable for "everyday carry" to solve simulated self defense scenarios.
Persons wishing to participate in IDPA matches are encouraged to participate in one of our Intro to IDPA clinics (dates posted on club calendar). If you haven't participated in one of the major pistol shooting sports (IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge) or attended an Intro clinic - you will be asked to demonstrate your ability to handle your firearm safely to a Safety Officer prior to being allowed to participate. Contact the IDPA Chair with any questions.
- A pistol or revolver conforming to IDPA rules. (most stock handguns designed for duty/defense/carry in common calibers 9mm/38 Spl/40 S&W/45 ACP are permitted)
- Minimum of (3) loading devices (magazines/speedloaders)
- Strong side hip holster (IWB or OWB) that covers the trigger guard
- Magazine/speedloader holder(s)
- Eye/Ear protection
- Brimmed hat (recommended)
- Concealment garment (shirt/jacket/vest) - must cover firearm and magazines at your waistline
- Approx. 100 rounds of ammunition
Matches are typically (5) stages; with (1) stage held on the indoor range under low light conditions (bring a flashlight). Matches are constructed on the morning of match day, generally starting around 7:30am (we can always use help). Registration opens around 8:30am. Shooter's safety meeting at 9:15am, and match first shots at 9:30am. We are typically complete by 2pm. Competitors are asked to help break down the match so the range can be turned back over to open shooting as soon as possible. Match fees for the 2018 season will be $15 for SCFC members and $25 for non-members. Youth Shooters (under 18 on match day) are free with a paying adult competitor.
Rules can be found at: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules
Check out this great video that was filmed at Pioneer Sportsmans Club in NH where some of our members compete.